Tomato Basil & Ricotta Pizza
After using yogurt in my Chocolate & Orange Bundt Cake last week, I had quite a bit left that I didn't want to go to waste – so, I decided to use the rest to make this super-tasty Tomato, Basil & Ricotta pizza! Combining the yogurt and ricotta with some sautéd onions and garlic, makes the perfect base, while adding some chopped basil, cherry tomatoes and thyme makes rounds out this beauty. It's unique flavor combination will definitely have me making it again!
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- Pre-made pizza dough - OR - homemade. I like Bobby Flay's easy pizza dough recipe.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped (extra for garnish)
- Fresh thyme leaves for garnish
- Pre-heat oven, following cooking instructions for pizza dough.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook 4-5 minutes until softened and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove onions and garlic from heat and place in medium bowl to cool.
- Once onions and garlic have cooled, add 3 tablespoons of Greek yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, stirring to combine.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine remaining yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and ricotta.
- Lightly brush prepared pizza dough with olive oil and salt then coat dough with onion mixture base.
- Add dollops of the ricotta mixture and spread evenly over pizza dough.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and basil.
- Bake until crust is crisp and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and thyme.
Photos by Jonathan Stiers ©2015 | Recipe adapted from Chobani.com