Valentine's Day is just around the corner and I wanted the perfect treat for my sweet! Brownies are one of my all-time favorite things, especially with milk so what better way to celebrate Valentine's Day than with Red Velvet Brownies?! These taste amazing with the addition of the cream cheese swirl and they look beautiful too!
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 (or a pinch) teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
- 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
CREAM CHEESE SWIRL
- 8 ounces (typically 1 package) cream cheese, softened (I nuked mine for 30 seconds)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
2. Spray 8x8 baking pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment/baking paper.
3. In a small bowl, beat the 2 eggs together and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl in until melted, about 1 minute, then stir in 1 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, salt, 2 tbs of food coloring, and 3/4 tsp of vinegar. Combine ingredients in this order.
5. Once combined, whisk in the eggs, then fold in the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until completely incorporated. Do not overmix.
6. Pour the brownie batter into prepared baking pan, leaving about 5-6 tablespoons for later.
7. For the cream cheese swirl, use a hand-held mixer on medium speed, to beat the softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl until completely smooth - about 1 minute.
8. Pour cream cheese mixture on top of the prepared brownie mixture and smooth out until the mixture is completely covered.
9. Add the 5-6 remaining dollops of brownie mixture, ensuring they are evenly spaced in a grid of 5 or 6 dollops.
10. Glide a knife through the layers, end to end, then turn pan 90 degrees and glide knife through again. This will create the swirl/marbling effect.
11. Bake the brownies for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares. Cover brownies and store at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. - Enjoy!
Photos ©2015 Jonathan Stiers | Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction