I love dressing up tasty vegetables in their holiday best. I had extra carrots left over from my Ciabatta & Sausage stuffing so I couldn't let them go to waste! These maple-glazed carrots are the perfect holiday side and SO easy to make, not to mention they make for a beautiful presentation.
- 12 large carrots, washed and tops trimmed, carrot greens set aside for garnish
- 1 stick of salted butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 half lemon, squeezed
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Thoroughly wash carrots, trim tops and set carrot greens aside. Cut thicker carrots in half, lengthwise.
- Rinse carrot greens thoroughly then let soak in a bowl of water and a tablespoon of white vinegar (vinegar optional). This will help rinse the dirt and grime away! After 5-10 minutes, drain greens and pat dry with paper towels. Finely chop enough for garnish.
- Melt stick of butter in large pan over medium-low heat.
- Once butter has melted, add carrots and cover.
- Braise for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until carrots are fork-tender.
- Increase heat to medium and pour maple syrup and squeeze of lemon juice over carrots. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then stir in thyme.
- Plate and garnish with carrot greens and serve immediately.
All photos by Jonathan Stiers ©2015 | Recipe adapted from Saveur Magazine